Spiritual: explore beliefs and experience; respect values; discover oneself and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
Moral: recognise right and wrong; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
Social: use social skills in different contexts; work well with others; resolve conflicts; understand how communities work.
Cultural: appreciate cultural influences; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.
The Toynbee School promotes SMSC development of our pupils through a variety of ways including:
- The provision of a broad, balanced and knowledge rich curriculum. Within this, teachers strive to promote opportunities whereby students are encouraged to engage with the wider world and consider and question their place within it.
- The delivery of a bespoke PSHCE programme and Personal Development days which enables pupils to discuss issues that arise in situations beyond academic and vocational study.
- A varied assembly and weekly tutorial programme through which teachers and visitors discuss topics that help pupils reflect upon themes that are important in the wider world today as well as addressing local, national and global current affairs.
- An extensive enrichment programme that includes sporting, academic, musical and cultural opportunities.
- Links with the Wider Community.
- The school supports the work of a variety of charities.
- The school has strong links with a wide range of businesses, employers and further / higher education providers.
- A strong home-school agreement enables parents and teachers to work in an effective partnership to support pupils.
- Pupils are taught to appreciate and to take responsibility for their local environment.
- The school participates in a wide range of competitive activities including drama script writing, maths challenges and team and individual sports.
- The opportunity to experience a variety of educational visits outside of the classroom, including theatre trips, museum trips, guest speakers, further education contacts and residential trips to enrich the lives of our pupils